Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Please don't forget to hug your parents...

What was working out to be a good few days in the NAMN family has taken a sudden and tragic turn for the worse. One of our own lost his mother today (10/17/2005), and we are all grieving with him. While I will not mention which contributor I am referring to, instead I would like to eulogize parents in general.

I am fortunate to have my mother. While our relationship may not be perfect, (who's really is?) I can't imagine that I would change it. She's always been someone I could rely upon to provide love and support, and I hope she's around for a long, long time.

However, I learned some things from her strained relationship with her father.

First, adults seem to find common ground in children. My grandfather was a great and mostly positive influence on my life, and it wasn't until after he passed that I realized how much my mother and grandfather may have been working out their earlier differences through me. I don't think they ever fully reconciled, but that's the other thing they taught me. Parents and children are not perfect people, thus many mistakes are made, but one mistake that needn't be made is guilt over things said or left unsaid. Unfortunately, I never heeded that lesson with my own father, from whom I was completely estranged when I received word that he was in an irreversible coma.

I doubt this post will ease my dear friend's grief over his loss, if he even reads this; however, I would be glad to know that my words changed someone else's life a little. Please say a prayer for my friend and his family.

Sincerely,
Scott

4 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger lca0529 said...

We are all deeply saddened by the loss in our group. Uncle Speed, you wrote many of the thoughts that have passed through my mind since I received the dreadful news. You and I grew up under similar circumstances so I guess that is why we think back to our grandfathers and what we lost when they passed.

I ache for my friend. I hope he leans on us because together we are all here for him. My home, my ears, my soul and my heart are open for his family. You are all in my prayers everyday.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger cheezwhiz said...

I add my thoughts and prayers for our friend.

It's so hard to watch someone so close to you suffer.

This guy was my friend when I didn't have too many and he always sought me out over the years. He brings people together and that is special.

I'm proud to stand with him.

cheezwhiz

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger t-money said...

Like everyone else, I mourn for our friend. Simply put, he has been my best friend for longer than I deserve. He's been like a brother to me, and I too am here for him.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Saidyr said...

I'm so sorry. Right now, is such a hard time. I knew how much our friend loved his mother. I hope that all of his friends in the area can be around him at this time. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.

Again, I'm truly sorry for your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home