Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Open Letter to SNL

The following letter was sent to Saturday Night Live on October 3 and I am still waiting for a response.....

To whom it may concern:

I am writing about the Katrina rescue skit on Saturday Night Live. Living in the Katrina affected area in South Louisiana about 30 miles north of New Orleans, I sustained some minor damage to my home. However, many of my friends and family have lost their homes, jobs and loved ones. Some people I know have lost everything. I watched Saturday Night Live after 9/11 and it took on a very somber tone. The attempt was to boost the morale of the city. I was hoping to turn to you for the same thing after Katrina hit us so badly. Unfortunately, I watched a skit that demonstrated the lack of genuine sensitivity to what we are going through.

As you obviously do not know, the people who do the flashing and the obscene behavior in the French Quarter are not from here. I have never in my 32 years known anyone to flash who was a local. In fact, on Mardi Gras we always go to the areas that we consider "family friendly" to avoid being exposed (sorry couldn't resist) to adolescent behavior.

I ask that you send the writers of the script to New Orleans soon. I don't think any of them will be laughing. I think they will be overcome with emotion when they see heroes and heroines, people wanting to return and rebuild, determined souls who love a city as much as any in the world. I think they will find real men and real women who are not waiting for the government to take care of the problem. They are the true heart and soul of this beautiful, southern city. Many civilians worked tirelessly with police and firemen to save our citizens. One brave man stole a bus and drove people out to safety. They were not cruising in boats asking women to bare their breasts and the outcome determined whether or not they survived. It made me angry to see this skit.

People (average everyday citizens) from Baton Rouge to Mobile grabbed their boats or commandeered boats that were left behind trucks to save people. These men and women saved lives. Everyday Joes and Janes saved humans. They didn't look at skin color, sex, religion or whether or not they would flash.

I am not asking for an apology or a retraction of your skit. You still haven’t apologized for giving us Corky Romano or A Night at the Roxbury. I only ask that you try and remain sensitive to our dire situation. There is a time for humor, and we shall welcome it very soon. Down here we love a good laugh and we love to laugh at ourselves. It won’t take long before we'll be itching to tell a good Boudreaux joke. When we are on our feet again, send as many jokes our way as you can. We shall be laughing right along with you.

Sincerely,
Jason J.
Mandeville, LA

PS If you send your writers down, please make sure they go to the areas in Mississippi that were destroyed. In many places, there is nothing left. It is a humbling experience when you see a foundation and a few twisted trees where a well built home existed only a little over a month ago.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Scott M. Phillips said...

It's funny how visitors to our city love to make light of this particular "tradition", when it is THEIR mothers, sisters, daughters, grandmothers (ewwwww!), and/or neices who are making a spectacle of themselves.

Good letter.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous judyb said...

thanks for putting so eloquently what I wanted to tell them after viewing that sickening skit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home